So I finally decided it was time to create my version of a keto Butter Chicken. I have tried my share of Butter Chicken in the past and felt that most could do with a little bit more intense flavour and real lurve….
When I undertake a recipe that is steeped in tradition, and that also has such a huge cult following I do my research first.
I then test a few others and then I blend my own style of cooking with the best flavours from the techniques of many traditionalists. A Keto Butter Chicken recipe just had to be done.
Butter Chicken – 2 Ways
So one I learnt was that Butter Chicken was originally developed using the left over marinated chicken cooked in a tandoor and put into a rich gravy with tomatoes and cream.
So it got me to thinking that I might do both a tandoor style version and one with chicken pieces cooked within the gravy.
Tandoor Style Butter Chicken
To achieve the tandoor style keto butter chicken I simply marinated a whole chicken and cooked it over indirect heat in my Kamado Joe.
Ironically the Kamado Joe is a kind of tandoor as it is a giant egg shaped, clay grill, barbecue and smoker. By enclosing the chicken within Kamado Joe I was able to get the perfect result.
I simply baked my marinated chicken at 180℃ until an internal temperature of 165℃ was achieved.
The chicken is then wrapped in foil and left to rest for 30 minutes. I then serve with the sauce and some Hemp Naan.
Butter Chicken – 3 Easy Steps
1. Marinate for at least 3 hours. You want the spices to get into that chicken and it also lets the colour develop.
2. Choose your preferred cooking style.
3. Make a rich spice filled gravy. Tada! Keto Butter Chicken!
For more dishes like Butter Chicken
Want more than Keto Butter Chicken? Tikka Masala maybe?
You can grab our new eBook Keto Life – 4 complete with meal plans and 69 recipes. The Chicken Tikka is out of this world xox
Check out our Store here>>
CONNECT WITH MAD CREATIONS
Don’t forget to link up with Mad Creations on social media so you never miss a recipe.
- 800 g chicken breast or thigh, cut into 3 -4 cm cubes
- 2 garlic cloves finely minced
- 3 cm ginger peeled and finely grated
- 1 teaspoon salt flakes
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ½ tsp garam masala
- ½ teaspoon red Tandoori food colouring optional
- ½ tsp ground turmeric
- ½ teaspoon hot chilli powder I use Kashmiri chilli powder
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 70 g Greek yoghurt plus extra to serve
- 2 tablespoons ghee or melted unsalted butter
- ½ onion finely minced
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon ginger paste
- 2 brown cardamom pods bruised
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 teaspoon hot Kashmiri chilli powder
- 1 tablespoon fenugreek leaves
- 1 teaspoon red Tandoori food colouring
- 400 g tomatoes crushed, or Enchilada sauce (recipe on page 105)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 40 g unsalted butter
- 100 g thickened cream
- 2 teaspoons gelatin
- Fresh coriander leaves cauliflower rice and extra yoghurt.
- In a large non-reactive bowl combine all marinade ingredients and coat chicken well. Cover and chill for 3-4 hours.
- Melt ghee in a pan and add onion, garlic, ginger, cardamom, coriander, garam masala, turmeric, and chilli powder. Stir well and fry for 1-2 minutes until fragrant.
- Add fenugreek leaves, Tandoori colouring (if using) tomatoes and lemon juice. Bring to a simmer and reduce by a third. Add chicken to pan.
- Turn heat down and cook chicken on low simmer for 8 minutes.
- Add the butter, cream and gelatin. Stir continuously until the butter has melted and the sauce is thick and velvety. (Add more gelatin as needed if sauce is not thick enough).
- Serve with cauliflower rice, coriander leaves and extra yoghurt.
- In a large non-reactive bowl combine all marinade ingredients and coat chicken wellCover and chill for 3-4 hours.
- Add ghee, onion, garlic, ginger, cardamom, coriander, garam masala, turmeric and chilli powder to bowl and cook 2 minutes/98℃/MC off/stir speed/ basket on top to stop splatter.
- Add fenugreek leaves, Tandoori colouring (if using) tomatoes and lemon juice and continue to cook 12 minutes/100℃/MC off /speed stir/ basket on top.
- Add chicken and cook 7 minutes/100℃/basket on top/reverse/stir.
- Add the butter, cream and gelatin. Cook 4 minutes/100℃/basket on top/reverse/stir.
- (Add more gelatin as needed if sauce is not thick enough). Serve as above.