My buttery beef casserole is surprising delicious considering it was created originally with no testing at all done.
I had a simple request to convert a recipe from a Coles (supermarket) magazine from one of 365 members.
While the recipe in question wasn’t keto, it also was’t quite like this one but it inspired me to put a few simple ingredients together to create this.
Some of the 365ers starting testing it out telling me how good it was. I dont usually give out untested recipes but in my opinion not much can go wrong with a casserole. Cook as long as you need to get the beef to become soft and tender and unctuous. As many slow cookers are of varying temperatures, and meat is different depending on the cut of beef and the actual beast as well.
Thanks Christine Russel for testing the recipe and air frying the dumplings. Christine’s pic above
Choice of Slow-Cooker
I use a Kitchenaid Multi Cooker as my slow cooker. It is great in the way I can use it to sear the beef and then turn it down to slow cook straight after. I cooked mine on slow at 80℃ for the first 4 hours then turned it up to slow at 95℃, before finishing it off at 100℃ for the last hour. You don’t have to adjust yours at all but just allow plenty of time to cook this to get that meat beautiful and tender.
You will see that I have used Nutraorganics Collagen in this recipe. I like to add collagen as a natural gluten free thickening agent where I can. If your gravy needs additional thickening at the end add another scoop of collagen to some hot liquid and add stirring into casserole.
Collagen is fabulous for overall health it is proven to help
- joint pain
- reduce hair loss
- strengthen nails
- improve metabolism
- prevent skin dryness and wrinkles
- improve muscle mass
- decrease bone degeneration
- help leaky gut
- protect cardiovascular health
- benefit liver health and function
This is delicious served with some Daily Keto Bread and butter, cauliflower dumplings, or even with some grated cheese and sour cream. So good!
I hope you love this recipe, I certainly did.
- 2 tsp smoked paprika
- 800 g gravy beef or chuck steak cubed
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 80 g grass fed butter
- 1/2 onion diced
- 3 celery sticks finely diced
- 4 radishes sliced
- 2 garlic cloves crushed and sliced thinly
- 200 g Swiss brown mushrooms sliced into quarters
- 6 bacon rashers sliced into batons
- 1 chorizo sausage diced
- 1 scoop Nutraorganics Collagen Beauty powder
- 250 ml beef bone broth
- 200 ml hot coffee if using coffee pods also add coffee grounds
- 60 g tomato paste
- salt and pepper to taste
- 50 g whey protein powder
- 2 tsp salt pick your favourite
- 50 g crushed pork rinds
- Season beef with paprika
- Over medium heat fry off beef in olive oil and butter until beef is lightly browned all sides.
- Transfer to slow cooker and add rest of ingredients
- Slow cook 7+ hours until sauce thicken and beef is super tender. Extend time until beef has become tender and breaks down with a spoon.
Mix all dumpling mixture together.
Scoop with cookie scoop and roll into 6 golf ball size dumplings.
- Roll in seasoned protein flour and refrigerate for 20 minutes.
Fry for 1 minute or so until golden and remove and drain.
Cook in 2 batches on baking paper for 7 minutes at 200℃
Serve dumplings on top of casserole.
1 serving of the Buttery Beef without dumplings yields the following macros
600kcal | 49g Fat | 35g Protein | Carbs 5g | Fibre 1g | Net Carbs 4g |
This can be topped with some delicious cauliflower and bacon dumplings closer to the end of cooking time, or top with cheese and bacon.
Collagen is used in this recipe as both a healthy supplement and a gluten free thickening agent.
This recipe is suited to freeze in individual portions.