Caramel Keto Vanilla Custard Slice was a no brainer for me to create a keto recipe. These two flavours together are perfection!
It takes me back to the Whitebridge Cake shop when I was a kid and making the decision between a caramel tart or vanilla slice…. or both! I think we all have some great memories of sweets as a kid that we may enjoy every now and then as we get older. I think everyone can tell I am just a little infatuated with caramel.
Caramel Vanilla Custard Slice Tips
The biscuit pastry will be sweet but when combined with the custard will not seem so sweet, It is the sweetener that helps to give the pastry “snap”.
The pastry will be soft when it comes out of the oven. It will continue to crisp for a few hours out of the oven. The pastry will soften sightly when filled with custard, this does not take away from the texture or flavour of the slice.
I trace the bottom of the my slice tray on the baking paper before rolling out the dough for the slice. Halve dough and roll two sheets to the edges of your outline and transfer onto a baking tray. The dough is very soft. Do not add anything else to it, this is the way it should be. Just lift your dough by the edges of the baking paper to transfer to your baking tray. Pastry will still be soft and blonde when you remove from the oven.
Pour cooled custard over set pastry and top with other sheet of pastry. Refrigerate before preparing caramel.
Caramel should be thick and foamy when ready. Cool slightly before pouring over cooled slice.
If you love this recipe, then please Pin it to your favourite board. You can check out some of our new flavours (some still to come)
- Monte Carlo Keto Vanilla Slice
- Top Deck Keto Vanilla Slice
- Gluten Free Keto Vanilla Slice
- Zesty Lemon Curd Keto Vanilla Slice
Connect with us
Join us on huge Facebook Community. Make requests for your favourite recipes to be converted to keto or draw inspiration from our community.
- 50 g butter
- 180 g Sukrin Gold Fibre Syrup
- 90 g thickened cream
- 50 g Vitawerx Milk Chocolate or 90% dark chocolate
- If making into bars please use the technique highlighted in the blog post.
- Preheat oven to 180℃.
- Beat together butter and sweetener until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolk, whole egg, lemon juice, and vanilla. Beat for 1 minute.
- Mix in dry ingredients and blend well.
- Split dough in half and roll out each half of dough between 2 sheets of baking paper to approximately 2mm thick and approximately the size of the baking tray you are going to use to assemble the slice. I use a 28cm x 21cm slice tin. See images for tips.
- Lift pastry filled paper and place onto a large baking tray.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes until lightly golden. Biscuit will still be soft. Allow to cool on tray for 5 minutes then move to wire rack to cool completely. Biscuits will continue to crisp over a couple of hours. Move 1 sheet of pastry to a baking paper lined tin (28x21cm) and reserve.
- Add cream and vanilla to a small saucepan. Whisking mixture over medium heat until a low simmer and remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, sweetener, xanthan, and gelatin. Whisk through cream mix and return to heat and continue whisking until custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Pour custard onto prepared pastry in baking tin. Top with second pastry sheet. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours until custard has set.
- In a large microwave-safe pyrex bowl place butter, Sukrin Fibre Syrup and cream
- and cook 4 minutes on high, stir and cook a further 3-4 minutes. Allow to cool slightly before pouring slowly over the top of the the set custard slice.
- Drizzle with melted chocolate and refrigerate until set.
- Cut into bars and serve.
- Preheat oven to 180℃.
- Beat together butter and sweetener 30 seconds/speed 4
- Add egg yolk, whole egg, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Beat 1 minute/speed 4.
- Scrape sides of bowl.
- Add dry ingredients and mix 1 minute/speed 4.
- Follow from step 5 in conventional method.
- Insert Butterfly. Add all ingredients to bowl
- Cook 9 minutes / 90℃ / speed 4
- Cool and follow as above.
Check out all out ketogenic diet cookbooks in store at https://lowcarbmixers.myshopify.com