Guest blogger Christine Ladewig cooks up this stunning Chicken Keto Pot Pie
Mmmm pot pie!
There are so many options: double crust, no base with puff pastry lid, bottom crust and creamy topping… each one, equally delicious!
Now lets talk pie sizes…For me, the best is an individual pie that I can call my own! I don’t have to share with anyone. I can eat at my own pace rather than attempting to scarf it down as fast as I can so I get my fair portion of seconds. It is however, quite ceremonial to cut into a large pie to be shared amongst dinners, a sense of community is felt when served from the same dish. I’ll leave it up to you…
This pie recipe is jammed full of Mexican flavours and can be made using whatever form of chicken you have handy: fresh chicken breast and thighs, left over chicken or my favourite, rotisserie chicken! The recipe is broken down into 3 parts – crust, filling and topping – but very simple to put together.
CONNECT WITH MAD CREATIONS
Don’t forget to link up with Mad Creations on social media so you never miss a recipe.
- Makes 1 large pie or 6 small pies 12cm
- 1 recipe of Fathead dough from the book Real Food Real Fast
- 1 tbsp butter
- 1/2 onion
- 2 tsp chipotle in adobo
- 1/2 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp oregano
- 300 g thickened cream or sour cream
- 550 g shredded chicken - I use rotisserie chicken or chicken steamed and shredded in thermomix
- 1 green onion chopped
- 500 g cauliflower florets washed and roughly chopped
- 35 g butter
- 85 g sour cream
- salt and pepper
- 1 tsp fresh lime juice
- a handful of fresh coriander chopped
- 1 cup of shredded jack or cheddar cheese
Start by par-baking the pie crust.
- Pre-heat your oven to 180 degrees (fan forced)
- Line pie plate(s) of your choice with parchment paper*.
- Shape the fathead dough into the pie plate(s).
- Bake for 15 mins.Then onto the topping:
- Add cauliflower florets to your thermomix bowl and blitz at speed 7 until very fine.
- Weigh the butter into the bowl and stir into cauliflower.
- Cook at 100℃ for 12 minutes on speed 1.
- Add the sour cream, salt and pepper to taste and lime juice to the bowl and blend for 30 seconds at speed 7.
- Add chopped coriander if using and stir at speed 5, reverse for 2 seconds.
- Set aside until ready to assemble the pie(s).Rinse the bowl and onto the filling:
- Blitz onion for 2 seconds on speed 5.
- Add butter, chipotle, cumin, garlic powder, and oregano to the bowl and saute for 2 mins, 100 degrees, stir speed with MC removed.
- Pour in the cream, shredded chicken and green onion and stir reverse speed 3 until combined.Assemble the pie(s) by scooping the filling into the crust and topping with the cauliflower mash then topping evenly with shredded cheese.
- Bake the pie(s) in a 180 degree oven for approximately 25 minutes or when the cheese starts to brown.