This Za’atar Chicken is one of my most popular bowl licking family meals I have ever created!
Using one of my very special spice blends, all the way from the Middle East, this dish is not “spicy” in heat but has the most delicious flavours.
Za’atar Chicken is rich and creamy more so from the use of the vegetables than the cream cheese and cream. The flavour combination seems to be a hit for the kids and husbands who are fussy.
The Za’atar Chicken has also proven to be a hit with all the Thermomix crowd, although the recipe does come with conventional methods as well.
Please never look at my recipes and think they have an awful lot of steps. Usually it is just that I have included both cooking methods in the recipe to try and keep everyone happy.
I cannot even tell you where I came up with the idea for this recipe, if I had ever heard of it before or even if it is remotely similar to any other recipe on the internet or in a book. I am always looking at food marriages and ideas but cannot even recall having seen anything like this one beforehand.
I did create the recipe for the very first book I published back in August 2017. Real Food Real Fast was an instant “over night” success! I still cannot believe how crazy that time was. After working so crazy since I started the whole keto lifestyle, losing weight and blogging about it, I was super stressed that no one would even want to buy it. Well even as I write that I know I am lying, but what I really mean is that I was doubtful I would sell very many.
I started testing all the recipes with a fabulous team of testers, who were fabulous in not only trialling the recipes but also helping to make the recipes better for everyone who uses them. Honestly there isn’t many recipes that don’t pass the taste test but that was because the majority of recipes are a simple adaptation of recipes I have been creating for many years. So basically they were tried and true already.
Now with 18 ebook/books the 365 Club, Meal Plans and a NEW book due for pre-sale very soon I am more than busy! But, I will say I am more than happy! After a varied career, of which all positions help with this one, I have found where I belong and love creating new content every day (and night).
So I say thank you to the Za’atar Chicken and to all of you that have joined us at 365, purchased a book, shared a recipe or just check out what is on the Mad Creations kitchen each week. It is your support that helps me make my little business grow, but makes me smile everyday which in many respects is far more important.
Without further ado here is the lovely Za’atar Chicken. I truly hope you totally dig this recipe and the whole family enjoys it.
- 50 g onion
- 2 cloves garlic
- 70 g bacon
- 25 g butter
- 1/2 small cauliflower
- 2 chicken breast skin on
- 25 g butter extra for chicken
- 1 tsp Za'atar Spice Blend
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 6 large mushrooms
- 100 g pumpkin diced and cooked
- ½ cup chicken bone broth
- 1 cup cream
- 2 tsp jalapeños optional
- 75 g cream cheese
- 100 g cheddar grated
- Preheat oven to 200℃.
- Rice cauliflower 5 seconds/speed 5. Reserve.
- Add bacon, onion, garlic, and butter. Chop 5 seconds/speed 5
- Add cauliflower. Cook 4 minutes / 98℃ / speed 1
- And pumpkin, jalapeños, cream, cream cheese, and bone broth. Cook 5 minutes / 95℃ / stir reverse
- Meanwhile season the chicken with the za'atar and paprika, and cook chicken in butter, in frypan, over medium heat. Cook skin side down, until skin is lovely and golden. Turn once to cook other side
- Add diced mushroom and cook until golden and cooked through.
- Add the sauce and chicken into a small deep baking pan (I used a a bakeware loaf pan) top with grated cheese, and cook in the oven for 10 minutes, until cheese is all nice and gooey and melted.
- Cut breast into slices. Ladle sauce over chicken. Serve with a green salad
- To rice cauliflower, cut cauliflower into florets and place in a blender or food processor. Blend on medium speed for 5 seconds until cauliflower resembles rice.
- Season the chicken with the za'atar and paprika, and cook chicken in butter over medium heat. Cook skin side down until skin is lovely and golden. Turn once to cook other side. Add sliced mushroom and sauté until lightly brown. Remove and reserve
- In the same pan add bacon, cauliflower, onion, garlic, and butter. Sauté until fragrant and onion is translucent
- And pumpkin, stock, cream, jalapeños, and cream cheese. Cook until mixture reduces by half and begins to thicken. Serve as above
Photo by Christine Ladewig