Keto Banana Bread that is sugar free, grain free and seriously tasty? That would be a yeah baby!
With a couple of variations on a traditional banana bread recipe, this loaf is aimed to please those of you missing this treat pre-keto.
I know to some of you using bananas will be totally out. However, this recipe not only has another option for you to create, without bananas, but it is only 4g net carb per serve. For many this will well and truly fit macros and hopefully satisfy any urge to purchase some from your local cafe.
HOW TO MAKE KETO BANANA BREAD?
I will start by saying that even if you have young cooks at home they can make this recipe as it is so easy to make.
As always I do like to keep my recipes as simple as possible and this one is no exception.
- Melt the butter with the sugar free maple syrup, sweetener and spices. Now I have used Sukrin Gold sweetener in this recipe as it adds that delicious brown sugar caramel flavour. You can use other sweeteners but start with 100g in your batter and taste to adjust the sweetness. Sukrin Gold is not quite as sweet as other sweeteners so I have used a little more in the batter.
- Mix in remaining ingredients. That is hard isn’t it? I have given you the option of 1 cup walnuts/brazil nuts of which in the pictures you can see I used most of the walnuts folded through the loaf mix and scattered the top with the rest. I think it adds a nice crunch.
VARIATIONS OF KETO BANANA BREAD
- For those of you completely ruling banana out, you could add avocado and cacao, banana extract, mashed pumpkin, berries, or just leave it out completely. This bread is delicious moist and most of all sugar free!
WANT MORE GREAT KETO BREAD RECIPES?
It seems our breads keep getting better and more popular. Here is 5 of our top breads of 2018.
- Good For The Soul Bread
- The Best Keto Bread – No Eggy Taste
- Daily Keto Bread
- Paleo Hemp Seedy Bread
- Best Keto Bread Recipes
Following a ketogenic diet does not mean you need to miss out on all food types. By reducing the carb content considerably we can still enjoy foods like this keto banana bread recipe every now and then in our meals. To me it is better to enjoy the odd sugar free, grain free keto treat than constantly feel like you are missing the foods that you once enjoyed beforehand.
I hope you love this recipe.
- 80 g butter melted
- 25 g sugar free maple syrup
- 1 cup (150g) Sukrin Gold sweetener or Lakanto Gold sweetener
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg fresh grated
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 100 g banana
- 60 g golden flax meal or golden flax seeds milled extra fine
- 20 g coconut flour
- 150 g almond meal
- 1 tablespoon baking powder I totally recommend Bobs Red Mill Baking Powder for best rise
- 10 g psyllium husk powder or chia flour
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 4 eggs
- 80 g Greek natural yogurt
- 2 teaspoons banana extract INSTEAD of banana
- 1 cup walnuts or brazil nuts chopped
- Preheat oven 170℃. Line a 22cm x 11cm loaf tine with baking paper.
- Over medium heat cook butter, maple syrup, sweetener, cinnamon and nutmeg until butter has melted.
- In a large mixing bowl mash bananas. Pour in melted butter mixture and combine well.
- Add remaining ingredients including nuts (if using) and fold until combined.
- Scoop batter into prepared loaf tin. Smooth over top of loaf with wet spatula.
- Bake 60 minutes or until a skewer comes out clean. Cool 5 minutes in pan before transferring to wire rack to cool completely.
- Add butter, maple syrup, sweetener, cinnamon and nutmeg and cook 5 minutes/100℃/stir.
- Add banana and mix 10 seconds speed 4. Scrape sides of bowl
- Add remaining ingredients. Mix 30 seconds/speed 3. Fold though nuts (if using) Follow instructions from Step 4 above.
- The recipe nutritional has been calculated using 100g of bananas and no walnuts. The net carbs will significantly be reduced if using the banana extract in place of bananas.
- The pictured loaf was made using chia flour in place of psyllium husk powder.
- This consistency of the raw loaf is more of a sticky batter than dough.
- I seriously recommend Bob's Red Mill Double Acting Baking Powder as it helps leaven the bread beautifully.
- Golden flaxmeal can be replaced with brown flax, however, it will result in a loaf that is more bitter, and darker in colour.
- This banana bread is suitable to be sliced and frozen.
- Net carbs can also be reduced shoud you choose to slice thinner. Even in this sized pan you can easily cut 22 decently thick slices.
- For a vegan/vegetarian version butter could be exchanged for Nuttelex or light tasting olive oil, and the yoghurt for coconut yoghurt or coconut cream.
- For a nut-free version, I am yet to test this but the almond meal could be replaced with a combination of pepita and sunflower seed meal.
- For egg free - use 12 tablepoons of aqua faba whipped until fluffy and fold through all ingredients.
Check out our huge range of ketogenic cookbooks in store today https://lowcarbmixers.myshopify.com