These Mad Creations Ketogenic Diet Cheese & Bacon Aussie Beef Pies……all I can say is WOW!
These pies, are what I would call in car terms a total sleeper. They look wholesome, and boring on the outside, but holy shizzle, the crust is made cheese and bacon, what’s not to like…seriously!
In this recipe I did use lupin flakes, but just substitute with almond meal if you have a peanut allergy, or following Banting and dont want to stray from the green list, it won’t matter, it’s just a bit of glue to help hold the crust together. I choose lupin as it is low carb, high fibre and doesn’t raise insluin.
The fibre content has been amped up with the psyllium, and you can top these with a good cauliflower mash if you want, and surround with a buttery jus. Now what a “floater” that would be!
No more Aussie than a pie, but to make it a gluten free and grain free, and more tasty than any pie I have ever made that is a big call.
I hope you enjoy
Have you connected with us yet?
Join us on Facebook
Follow us on Instagram
Follow along on Pinterest
Or buy the books at Shopify
Delicious in every bite! Pastry made out of cheese and bacon what is not to love.
- 100 g hickory smoked bacon
- 100 g cream cheese
- 270 g grated tasty or jack cheese
- 125 g lupin lakes for grain free use Almond meal
- 45 g psyllium husk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 100 g hickory smoked bacon diced
- 250 g grass fed beef mince
- 2 tsp Herbamare or BCB veg stock paste
- 1 tbsp gluten free tamari or coconut aminos
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tsp oregano
- 2 heaped tsp tomato paste
- 3 heaped tsp psyllium husk
- *Optional Vegemite or Aussiemite if not bothered by gluten or sugar
- Preheat oven to 200℃
- Add smoked bacon to mixer or food processor
- Blend 20 seconds / speed 5
- Add cream cheese, and grated cheese
- Mix 10 seconds / speed 4
- Cook 5 minutes / 100℃ / speed 1
- Add psyllium husk, lupin, seasoning and eggs
- Mix 20 seconds / speed 3
- Knead 3 minutes / dough setting
- Press 2/3 of the mixture into greased large muffin tray, or pie tins, reserving the rest of the dough for pie tops.
- This is almost like making mini cheesecakes.
- Don't make it too thin but also not too thick especially in the corners.
- While you will get a thicker pastry than a shortcrust, don't fear, its cheese and bacon for goodness sake!
- The crust is a hero of the dish
- Cook in oven for 9 minutes until lightly golden
- Place onion and garlic into mixer or food processor
- Mix 3 seconds / speed 6
- Add diced bacon and beef mince
- Cook 5 minutes / 100℃ / reverse soft
- Add oregano, tamari, tomato paste, water and psyllium
- Season with salt and pepper
- Cook further 5 minutes / 100℃ / reverse soft
- Cook longer if not thick enough
- Spoon into precooked pie crusts
- Prepare dough on silicone mat or on non stick baking paper
- Squeeze mixture in the ball of your hand, push it into an egg ring, shake the ring and remove trimmings, take egg ring off push down again to thin it out a little more, and cut again about 5mm in thickness
- Top pies, and cook in oven for further 7 minutes, or longer if needed.
- You will notice it will bubble from the fat, just take out when a nice wheaten colour
- These pies, truly, are amazing.