This Smokey Mexican Keto Chicken Taco Soup is going to be our favourite soup this winter.
I chose to cook this slowly to develop a depth in flavour. If you don’t have a slow cooker, or fancy doing it slowly in the Thermomix® then it is easily cooked on the stove or TM over a shorter period, but just like a a good marinade, time makes it better.
I can tell you while it was cooking, it was hard not to go and eat it all from the cooker as it slowly bubbling away while I was working. I am sure the neighbours were envious and wondering where their invites were.
For this recipe I actually used leftover baked Mexican Marinated Baked Chicken (recipe coming soon). I have given a couple of alternatives as this is a soup that would go great with some delicious chicken thighs or even just a leftover rotisserie chicken. Always try and make it easier on yourself, I sure do.
No Corn Chips
I want oh my god, OMG, and WOW, how good are Cheese Pops? If you haven’t tried them yet you must! I tried some from the Low Carb Emporium and I will say they are far tastier than I ever thought possible. They are quite simply little crunchy balls of cheese. So tasty as a snack but also fabulous for a soup crouton rather than bread. In this soup it works fabulous as a substitute for crushed corn chips.
So I hope you enjoy this soup as much as we did, and please make sure you pilot up with some fresh toppings to make your taco soup Fully Loaded.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 brown onion diced
- 2 cloves garlic crushed and diced
- 1 chorizo sausage diced
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1 tsp ground coriander
- 1 dried ancho
- 1 dried guajillo
- 1 330ml Bighead 0 carb beer
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 400 g diced tomatoes canned or fresh
- 3 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 tbsp chipotles in adobo
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 medium zucchini quarter round dice
- 1/2 green capsicum diced
- 4 radish diced
Variations of CHICKEN
For this recipe you can use leftover cooked rotisserie chicken or 6 raw chicken thigh fillets. If using pre-cooked chicken this is added after slow cooking the soup
- coriander leaves
- sour cream
- pico de gallo
- grated cheese of choice,
- lime quarters
- Tortillas sliced and fried
- 1 packet Cheese Pops
- Saute onion, garlic and chorizo (and chicken thighs if using) in olive oil over medium heat until chicken is lightly browned on both sides.
- Add cumin and coriander and cook until fragrant.
- Transfer to slow cooker and rest of soup ingredients and slow cook on low for 5 hours.