Growing up, I was just a seafood eater, and boy oh boy, I wish I knew about Chilli Mud Crab when I was younger. I so would have eaten a lot more in my lifetime, as we always had crabs at home.
While it is easily one of the messiest meals you can eat it is certainly work the effort, because it not only feeds the tummy it feeds the soul. Oh how I love Chilli Mud Crab.
I was lucky enough to win a cruise and trip around Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand with work and I have to tell you how I totally made out like a bandit. Anyone going to Singapore tries the mud crab surely? Well we all went to the street night markets and I am like “we have to get the Singapore Chilli Mud Crab” well when it came out all covered in its delicious sauce, all the other girls were like “I cant eat that” because it was messy. Well let me tell you, I just tucked those serviettes around my face like a lions mane and I ate the lot. Total score, and totally delicious!
While there is many versions and I have cooked several, this is my latest version, that is rich and fresh.
CONNECT WITH MAD CREATIONS
Don’t forget to link up with Mad Creations on social media so you never miss a recipe.
- 1 large mud crab killed humanely cleaned and broken down
- 25 g ginger
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1/2 medium onion roughly chopped
- 1 tsp shrimp paste
- 1/2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tsp ground black pepper
- 6 fresh chillies you pick your heat factor
- 10 g olive oil
- 50 g Sukrin Gold sweetener
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 tsp xanthan gum
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- 100 g tomato crushed
- coconut oil for cooking
- extra lime wedges and coriander leaves to serve
- Blend ginger, garlic, onion, shrimp paste, peppers, chillies, oil 5 secs/speed 5. Set aside.
- Blend Sukrin Gold, fish sauce, tomato paste, lime juice, water, and tomato paste until combined. (5 sec/sp 5)
- In large frypan, or wok, at high heat, add coconut oil and crab, then add garlic paste.
- Cook until nearly done, (shell will go pink) then add sauce ingredients. Stir to cover crab, heat through and serve with lime, and coriander.
- Don't forget the napkins! You will need a lot.
- Best cooked and served immediately.
- Get ready to get messy.
- Choose your chillies to your personal taste. Increase, reduce, or deseed as preferred.