This Keto Chocolate Caramel Slice is a cracking “hack” of the original recipe I made for many years at It’s Lunchtime!
Between 1994 and 2000 I ran a lovely cafe in Newcastle called It’s Lunchtime. It was easily the most popular lunch destination in Newcastle for all of those years.
One of the most popular slices I made would have to have been the humble Chocolate Caramel Slice. I made it for the full 7 years more than twice a week so the recipe is a little bit engrained in my brain.
This keto chocolate caramel slice recipe has proven to be the most popular keto dessert recipe I have ever created. It is great how the simplest of recipes often turn out to be the best. For those in the northern hemisphere this would be a keto Millionaires Shortbread recipe.
Keto Chocolate Caramel Secret Ingredient
So to make a compliant version has never really been a problem in my mind it was more just finding a suitable brown sugar substitute.
Well finally someone, Rachelle Teune-Kings, picked up the distributorship of Sukrin and now we all have an online store to access a rich source of great compliant products. You can buy the Sukrin products here>>
The Sukrin Gold Fiber Syrup makes a super caramel, and the Sukrin Gold sweetener and a great brown sugar substitute.
These products are perfect for a keto chocolate caramel slice that, I reckon, tastes better than the original.
I have created another caramel in the Real Food Real Fast book that would also work well in this recipe.
If you don’t have or want to purchase either of the Sukrin products you could use any other sweetener in the base, and well as Lanakato brown sweetener.
You will love this slice, trust me. Dave ate most of this in no time. Bad I know! Especially when you are me and are missing out on the sampling. haha!
Here is a short video to show what the sugar free caramel should be like when it is ready to pour.
Have you joined us yet in the Keto Club yet?
CONNECT WITH MAD CREATIONS
Don’t forget to link up with Mad Creations on social media so you never miss a recipe.
- 200 g almond flour
- 45 g Sukrin Gold click the link for Australian supplier
- 50 g coconut shredded
- 100 g butter melted
- 60 g butter
- 180 g Sukrin Gold Fiber Syrup click the link for Australian supplier
- 80 g thickened cream
- 150 g sugar free dark chocolate
- Preheat oven to 180℃. Line 26 x 17 cm slice tray with baking paper.
- Mix all base ingredients in bowl or Thermomix (15 seconds/speed 4)
- Press base ingredients into prepared tray. Bake 10-12 minutes or until lightly golden.
- Add butter, fibre syrup and cream in a large pyrex bowl. Microwave on high for 4 minutes. Stir and return to microwave and cook for 2-3 minutes.
- Pour caramel over base and return tray to oven. Bake 6-8 minutes until caramel is bubbling and golden.
- Remove from oven. While caramel is still hot place chocolate pieces directly onto the top. Leave a minute or 2 and then gently spread with a palette knife or the back of a spoon. A quick jiggle or tap of the tray should smooth the chocolate to a glassy shine.
- Leave to cool then gently score with the tip of a knife to desired size slices.
- This slice is suitable for freezing. Cut into portions and store in airtight container.
- Store in fridge in airtight container up to 2 weeks.
- Great with nuts scattered throughout the caramel.
- In Australia we have no suitable substitution for Surkin Gold fiber syrup in this recipe.