A Monte Carlo Low Carb Vanilla Slice sounds mighty impressive doesn’t it? Fancy to look at and damn delicious!
If you are looking for a winner in a low carb vanilla slice then this is totally it. The addition of fresh raspberries is perfect folded through the custard. Check out the tips below on how to make this a couple of ways and you tell me which way is your favourite low carb vanilla slice.
Low Carb Vanilla Slice Ingredients
Low Carb Sweeteners
This recipe uses Sukrin Melis. Already in powdered form and I tend to use it in place of regular granular sweeteners as well. You can choose to use any powdered sweetener that has a 1:1 ratio as a sugar substitute. Reducing the sugar can affect the crispness of the pastry.
Bobs Red Mill Double Acting Baking Powder is the best. This baking power gives superior results in baking on my opinion. It is also aluminium free, gluten free and non GMO.
Fresh raspberries are chopped and folded through the custard. I love the tartness of the raspberries in the vanilla slice, but feel free to use a little sugar free jam or freeze dried raspberries.
Vitawerx White Chocolate
Vitawerx white chocolate is pretty special in this recipe. I mix it with a little Summer Hill Pantry Raspberry Sparkles. The sparkles is some kind of fruit and vegetable blend that adds a little fruity taste and glimmer to your baking. If you mix it with a little liquid and add it to cakes, icing, chocolate etc it is a natural food colour. 100% natural and gluten free, I love using these products. I coloured the white chocolate with a little Raspberry Sparkles. Use natural food colouring if you prefer. With this recipe I prefer to coat both sides of the pastry by dipping the batons in the white chocolate lightly before marbling with a little bit of the sparkly chocolate.
Quick Cooking Tips
- To make the vanilla slice into bars use a silicone mould. I used a 24 x 7cm x 3.5cm mould.
- Line the the silicone mould with cling film being careful to line the inside of each bar mould so the vanilla custard shapes properly.
- Spoon the custard into each of the moulds. and set before sandwiching between the pastry pieces and top with lemon curd.
Low Carb Vanilla Slice Pastry
- Pastry is wet and soft. Press out between 2 sheets of baking paper.
- If making bars score the pastry to the size of your moulds. Alternatively halve the dough and press out thinly into 2 sheets of dough enough to cover the base of your pan.
- If making into bars. Score pastry into the size of your bar moulds. There is no need to try and separate the pastry just lift onto baking tray and bake. The pastry is easy to cut while still straight out of the oven as well. This cooking method is supposed to be really, really simple for you all.
CONNECT WITH MAD CREATIONS
Don’t forget to link up with Mad Creations on social media so you never miss a recipe.
If you love this recipe, then please Pin it to your favourite board and give us a comment below. Here are just a few more recipes that you may love
- Lemon Curd Sugar Free Vanilla Slice
- Top Deck Keto Vanilla Slice
- Caramello Keto Vanilla Slice
- Keto Vanilla Slice
- Wagon Wheelie Keto Donuts
If making into bars
- 24 x 7cm x 3.5cm silicone bar mould
- If making into bars please use the technique highlighted in the blog post.
- Preheat oven to 180℃.
- Beat together butter and sweetener until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolk, whole egg, lemon juice, and vanilla. Beat for 1 minute.
- Mix in dry ingredients and blend well.
- Split dough in half and roll out each half of dough between 2 sheets of baking paper to approximately 2mm thick and approximately the size of the baking tray you are going to use to assemble the slice. I use a 28cm x 21cm slice tin. See images for tips.
- Lift pastry filled paper and place onto a large baking tray.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes until lightly golden. Biscuit will still be soft. Allow to cool on tray for 5 minutes then move to wire rack to cool completely. Biscuits will continue to crisp over a couple of hours.
- Move 1 sheet of pastry to a baking paper lined tin (28x21cm) and reserve.
- Add cream and vanilla to a small saucepan. Whisking mixture over medium heat until a low simmer and remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, sweetener, xanthan, and gelatin. Whisk through cream mix and return to heat and continue whisking until custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Fold through raspberries.
- Pour custard onto prepared pastry in baking tin. Top with second pastry sheet. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours until custard has set.
- Melt white chocolate in microwave or double boiler.
- Drizzle 3/4 of the chocolate over the slice.
- Add raspberry sparkles or pink food colouring to remaining chocolate.
- Fleck pink chocolate over the top of the white to create a marble affect.
- Refrigerate until set. Cut and serve.
- Preheat oven to 180℃.
- Beat together butter and sweetener 30 seconds/speed 4
- Add egg yolk, whole egg, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Beat 1 minute/speed 4.
- Scrape sides of bowl.
- Add dry ingredients and mix 1 minute/speed 4.
- Follow from step 5 in conventional method.
- Insert Butterfly. Add all ingredients to bowl.
- Cook 9 minutes / 90℃ / speed 4
- Cool and follow as above.