As I get my Keto Asian groove on this Sugar Free Sweet and Sour is crazy good! If you are a massive sweet and sour fan you are really going to love this sauce.
Prior to keto if I ever ordered Chinese takeaway there always seemed to be something sweet and sour in my little takeaway containers. A sugar free sweet and sour sauce and dishes had to be created to add to my growing keto recipe collection.
Extremely quick and easy to make I will say that this sauce does have the perfect balance and consistency that you will not feel like you are missing out on anything.
HOW TO MAKE SUGAR FREE SWEET AND SOUR SAUCE
This is far from rocket science. A very easy sweet and sour sauce that is ready in minutes.
For ease of making I chose to use a purchased sugar free tomato sauce however if you prefer to make your own then I do have a great sugar free tomato sauce recipe click HERE.
Simply sauté onions, capsicum, chilli and garlic in olive oil and add the rest of ingredients and cook until it thickens and coats the back of a spoon. If it isn’t thickening just add a little more xanthan gum, but be careful to not over load with xanthan or it will make it too pasty. The consistency is perfect and you won’t even know this is a sweet and sour sauce without pineapple.
I have added some extra notes in the recipe card for storage and substitutions.
WHAT TO SERVE SWEET AND SOUR WITH
Traditionally a Chinese sweet and sour sauce is served with chicken or pork. It teams really well with a firm fish or tofu as well. I love mine in my Keto Sweet and Sour Pork recipe. Again just a crazy simple keto recipe that totally works!
I also think that any sweet and sour dish should have some fresh sliced spring onions scattered over for a clean fresh tasting recipe.
Love Asian Style Keto recipes?
You may also like
- Keto Sichuan Beef and Broccoli
- Chicken Pad See Ew
- Sticky Asian Beef Ribs
- Saffron Chicken Korma
- Butter Chicken
Join us on our growing Facebook Community and our Keto Life 4 Week Challenge starting April 1st.
- 1 1/2 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion sliced
- ½ green capsicum diced
- 1-2 long red chillies deseeded
- 1 garlic clove finely minced
- 240 ml chicken bone broth
- 90 g sugar free tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons Sukrin gold granular or sweetener of choice
- 1 1/2 tablespoon rice wine vinegar or apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon gluten free soy sauce or coconut aminos
- ½ teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon xanthan gum
- 1/2 teaspoon natural red food colour
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper for a slightly peppery sauce
- Heat oil over medium heat and sauté onion, capsicum, chilli and garlic until fragrant.
- Add all remaining ingredients. Cook stirring until sauce reduces and becomes thick.
- Sauce is ready when thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.