I truly think this Thrifty Keto Chicken Soup will quickly become one of my most popular recipes!
This is yet another super easy recipe that has such a depth of flavour. The chicken is melt in the mouth delicious, the soup slightly smokey, salty and herbaceous, overall a firm winner. I am not lying at all when I say I eat this and I clean the bowl with my finger (and straight into my mouth). Its really is that good!
Growing up I far from a fan of soup, any soup at all was not something I enjoyed. Be it chicken noodle, tomato or chicken or corn nothing could tempt me to want to eat soup. I was like if it isn’t something I need to chew, I don’t want it! I guess when you realise I didn’t eat meat from a very young age and a penchant for raw carrots, sunflower seeds, dried apricots and lollies. At least one thing in there was good for me right? So I was very late to warm towards soups at all. Dave used to make tinned tomato soup, with crunchy bacon bits, cheese and Vegemite and hot English mustard toast. Man I loved that, throughout my twenties. Well I can say now I have matured just a little and if the soup is good, then it is MASSIVE hit of mine. This “very thrifty” soup is seriously amaze balls!
Cheap and Easy Ingredients
The meat I have used for this recipe is the chicken “lovely legs”. basically chicken drumsticks that are skinless and had had the end of the bones removed. I picked them up for only $4kg. I have then used some simple cheap vegetables, and I have added Marrow and Meadow Stock Paste and Nutraorganics Collagen. While some may say these ingredients aren’t cheap I find the M&M Broth paste very economical and super tasty. I don’t have the kitchen time to making broth each week. The collagen I have found has improved my hair out of site, and I even don’t think I look the 46 years of age I am. Less wrinkles? Maybe but overall my skin is pretty good for someone who has spent a lot of years on the beach in the water without sunscreen or sunnies.
It is incredibly cold right now so if you are looking for a delicious and very simple dairy free soup, then this is just perfect. I really mean it. This soup is everything and more that I say.
CONNECT WITH MAD CREATIONS
Don’t forget to link up with Mad Creations on social media so you never miss a recipe.
- 40 g butter
- 60 g (1/2 medium) onion diced
- 1 clove garlic crushed and diced
- 70 g carrot (1/2 medium)
- 80 g celery diced
- 4 lovely legs or drumsticks skin off
- 1 medium zucchini diced
- 2 fresh bay leaves bruised
- 4 tsp lemon and herb bone broth concentrate I use Marrow and Meadowbone
- 4 cups water
- 1 tsp cracked pepper
- 1 tsp chipotle powder or smoked paprika
- 1 bacon/smoked pork bone optional
- 2 tbsp collagen peptides I use Nutraorganics Beauty Collagen this is a very gentle natural thickener, that has loads of health claims
- In a large saucepan melt butter over medium heat sauté onion, garlic, carrot and celery for 2-3 minutes
- Add chicken legs and zucchini and cook for further 10 minutes with the occasional stir.
- Add rest of ingredients, cover with a lid and turn temperature down to low.
- Simmer for 1-1 1/2 hours
- Remove bay leaves and discard
- Remove chicken and shred chicken from the bones.
- Strain soup and blend vegetables into a puree for 5 seconds/speed 5 in TMX or blender.
- Return all ingredients back to saucepan
- In a small bowl dissolve collagen with a 4 tbsp of soup liquid and return to pan
- Cook until soup is slightly thickened