If there is one recipe that I have been constantly asked for it is a Keto Vanilla Slice. Well here it is in all its glory finally!
It is funny that I did make a keto vanilla slice recipe more than a year ago and had some troubles that the pastry could not be replicated. Again and again I tried to get that damn pastry to work and could not get it to work. Puff pastry is still elusive to me in keto form, but I have found this very thin short and crisp pastry works a treat.
Please read through all the below information on how you can make your keto vanilla slices in a couple of different ways.
Keto Vanilla Slice Ingredients
In a lot of my recipes I do choose to use Sukrin Melis as my sweetener. I find it is very handy having a keto sweetener that is powdered already. It is also fabulous to have a sweetener that is zero carb and zero calorie.
Using the Sukrin Melis I have also found that there is very minimal re-crystalisation of sweetener in any heating processes such as the lemon curd in the Lemon Curd Keto Vanilla Slice (recipe coming).
I choose to use Bobs Red Mill Double Acting Baking Powder. It is aluminium free, and gives a great result in all baking.
Great Lakes Gelatin is sourced from grass fed beef, and nets a great result in all cooking.
Two Ways to Make your Keto Vanilla Slice
In the vanilla slice recipe instructions I have included how to make it in a slab as I am sure this is the way many of you would like to make it as it is very simple. For those of you who would much prefer to have a crispy pastry with your keto vanilla slice then you may prefer to make it using a silicone bar mould.
Low Carb Vanilla Slice Pastry
- Pastry is wet and soft. Press out between 2 sheets of baking paper.
- If making bars score the pastry to the size of your moulds. Alternatively halve the dough and press out thinly into 2 sheets of dough enough to cover the base of your pan.
- If making into bars. Score pastry into the size of your bar moulds. There is no need to try and separate the pastry just lift onto baking tray and bake. The pastry is easy to cut while still straight out of the oven as well. This cooking method is supposed to be really, really simple for you all.
I use a 24 x 7cm x 3.5cm mould. Line the the silicone mould with cling film being careful to line the inside of each bar mould so the vanilla custard shapes properly. Spoon the custard into each of the moulds. and set before sandwiching between the pastry pieces and icing with butter cream.
Either way of making the keto vanilla slice is yummy so you will be happy either way.
I really hope the wait was worth it for maybe a first bite of keto vanilla slice. I don’t know of any other recipes but I do happen to have several others coming out soon.
If you love this recipe, then please Pin it to your favourite board. You can check out some of our new flavours (some still to come)
- Monte Carlo Keto Vanilla Slice
- Top Deck Keto Vanilla Slice
- Caramello Keto Vanilla Slice
- Zesty Lemon Curd Keto Vanilla Slice
Connect with us
Join us on huge Facebook Community. Make requests for your favourite recipes to be converted to keto or draw inspiration from our community.
- 25 g powdered sweetener I use Sukrin Melis
- 30 g raspberries
- 100 g butter cubed
- 100 g cream cheese cubed
If making into bars
- 24 x 7cm x 3.5cm silicone bar mould
- If making into bars please use the technique highlighted in the blog post.
- Preheat oven to 180℃.
- Beat together butter and sweetener until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolk, whole egg, lemon juice, and vanilla. Beat for 1 minute.
- Mix in dry ingredients and blend well.
- Split dough in half and roll out each half of dough between 2 sheets of baking paper to approximately 2mm thick and approximately the size of the baking tray you are going to use to assemble the slice. I use a 28cm x 21cm slice tin. See images for tips.
- Lift pastry filled paper and place onto a large baking tray. Repeat with other half of pastry.
- Bake for about 10-12 minutes until lightly golden. Biscuit will still be soft. Allow to cool on tray for 5 minutes then move to wire rack to cool completely. Biscuits will continue to crisp over a couple of hours.
- Add cream and vanilla to a small saucepan. Whisking mixture over medium heat until a low simmer and remove from heat.
- In a separate bowl whisk together eggs, sweetener, xanthan, and gelatin. Whisk through cream mix and return to heat and continue whisking until custard thickens and coats the back of a spoon.
- Remove from heat and allow to cool.
- Pour custard onto prepared pastry in baking tin. Top with second pastry sheet. Cover and refrigerate for 3-4 hours until custard has set.
- Place sweetener in TM or blender and blitz 10 seconds / speed 10. Scrape sides of bowl.
- Push raspberries through a sieve and add to sweetener along with butter and cream cheese.
- Mix 20 seconds / speed 5. Scrape and repeat. Mix until well combined.
- Top Vanilla Slice with buttercream. Refrigerate for 2 hours. Cut and serve.
- Preheat oven to 180℃.
- Beat together butter and sweetener 30 seconds/speed 4
- Add egg yolk, whole egg, lemon juice, and vanilla.
- Beat 1 minute/speed 4. Scrape sides of bowl.
- Add dry ingredients and mix 1 minute/speed 4. Follow from step 5 in conventional method.
- Insert Butterfly. Add all ingredients to bowl
- Cook 9 minutes / 90℃ / speed 4. Cool and follow as above.