Mad Creations Keto Tuna Casserole with Salty Bacon Crust, is an inexpensive and timeless family favourite that everyone can still enjoy while following a Ketogenic Diet.
This recipe is featured in my extremely popular limited edition book #ketobudget
A tuna mornay was added to a vote of popular recipes to create in a budget style for the family. Tuna Casserole came out as a huge winner, and even more so when it was again voted as my first FREE recipe to featured out of the book. Plus it is easily the most commented and recommended recipe by everyone that has made it to date. It seems tuna hating kids and hubbies absolutely love it and vote with licking their plates clean. I guess that means this tuna mornay is pretty good.
Tuna Casserole is such an easy recipes, and even with this one, it is easy to change it up to your personal taste. If don’t eat mushrooms, swap it out for celery or broccoli. If you don’t eat tuna, swap it out for chicken, bacon or ham. If you want more vegetable throw them in there, and if you are like me and need a bit of heat add some chillies and lots of cracked pepper. No matter how you want it this recipe is ludicrously simple. So enjoy.
If you love this recipe please comment below let other know how you got on with it!
Have you got your Keto for Beginners eBooks yet?
With 2 volumes of meal plans, recipes, and a load of info answering many of the questions I hear all the time.
Click the link above to get your copy today! Or just check out our 13 other titles in store.
- 15 g butter
- 15 g olive oil
- 100 g mushrooms sliced
- 4 green spring onions chopped
- 1 tbsp parsley chopped
- 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (opt. substitutes include psyllium husks, or extra veg, like broccoli, cauliflower)
- 220 g thickened cream
- 100 g mozzarella cheese
- 400 g tinned tuna in springwater
- salt and pepper to taste
- 2 bacon rashers diced and cooked in oven until crispy
- cheese cooked until crispy and crumbled place grated cheese on baking tray and cook in hot oven until melted and golden, remove from oven and leave to cool on tray
- 200 g zucchini zoodles or cauliflower rice, or konjak noodles
- Preheat oven to 170℃.
- TM – Heat butter and oil 1 minute/80℃/speed 2. Add mushrooms and onion and cook 4 minutes/Varoma/reverse soft. Add xanthan, cream and 80g cheese and heat 2 minutes/90℃/reverse stir. Combine drained tuna, salt and pepper to mixture, 20 seconds/reverse speed 2.
- Place mixture in a medium sized casserole dish and cook for 15 minutes. Top with extra grated mozzarella and cook for further 5 minutes until cheese is melted and slightly golden. Sprinkle over crispy bacon and crumbled cheese crisps. Season to taste. Serve with zoodles, and fresh green salad.
- CV – Melt butter and oil to saucepan over medium heat, add onions and mushrooms and saute until soft. Add xanthan (or psyllium) and stir until makes it start to make a roux, and cream and 80g cheese and keep stirring as it thickens. Combine drained tuna, spring onions salt and pepper to mix. Place mixture in a medium sized casserole dish and cook for 15 minutes. Top with extra grated mozzarella and cook for further 5 minutes until cheese is melted and slightly golden. Sprinkle over crispy bacon and crumbled cheese crisps. Season to taste. Serve with zoodles, and fresh green salad.
- If you loved this recipe or had any different serving suggestions please comment below so that others know it is a recipe worth baking. xox